Here are the top 5 Keto Friendly Labor Day Side Dishes. Hot and Cold options to help you keep it Keto this Labor Day Weekend.
1. Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
This summer side dish is one of the most requested things that I get asked to make for family gathering. It’s a knock off of my grandmothers famous potato salad down to the hard boiled egg slices and paprika. My brother who hates cauliflower with a passion calls this dish “the bowl of lies”. Mainly because at a glance you would never know that it’s cauliflower instead of potato. Now I’m not gonna tell you that this will fool someone who doesn’t like cauliflower into enjoying this dish. However, I will say that it blows people away when they taste those familiar flavors.
Low Carb Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 lb. bacon cooked & chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 3 dill pickle spears diced
- 2 tablespoon aged sherry vinegar
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp real salt
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- Cook bacon, hard boil eggs ahead of time so ingredients are ready.
- Diced up cauliflower into bite size pieces and boil for about 5-7 minutes in salted water until outer parts are tender but the center is still firm.
- Rinse cauliflower in cold water until room temperature to stop the cooking process. Make sure you drain and pat cauliflower dry or your salad will be watery.
- Next dice up pickles, celery and fresh herbs. (If using dried herbs use a tsp of 2-3 herbs you like)
- In a large mixing bowl mix up all ingredients except cauliflower.
- Fold in cauliflower until fully combined.
- To garnish slice three eggs with an egg slicer and arrange the egg slices around the bowl and dust the top with paprika and parsley.
2. Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Who doesn’t love a little cured meat with their asparagus? If you need a quick Low carb side dish that’s sure to please look no further than Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus. It doesn’t get much easier than a two main ingredient side dish.
This is a simple low carb recipe that always seems to wow my guests whether it’s a family meal or dinner service at the restaurant. It’s a great side dish that can be prepped days ahead of time and only takes minutes to cook.
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Cut the the asparagus above 1 inch from the bottom of the stalks to remove the fibrous section. Next spread the asparagus out on a sheet pan and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasoning. Toss to coat the asparagus
- One at a time place a slice of prosciutto on the cutting surface at a 45 degree angle
- Place 4-5 Spears Of asparagus at the top left corner of the prosciutto and gently roll the prosciutto around the asparagus. The goal is to roll it as tight as possible without tearing the prosciutto and cover most of the Spears leaving only a little bit exposed at the top and bottom
- Set your oven on low broil and place the asparagus on the bottom rack once oven has come to temperature . Broil for about 5-7 minutes until the prosciutto has tighten and the asparagus has turned a bright green.
- You may like to drizzle with a bit of balsamic glace or grated Parmesan on top
3. Kimchi Coleslaw
This Low Carb Kimchi Cole Slaw is an absolute flavor bomb. the unique tangy sourness of the kimchi is mellowed with the fresh cabbage and the Korean chili flakes and a kick of heat that will wake up the taste buds
One of my favorite types of cuisine is definitely Korean, something about those spicy unique flavors just get my taste buds dancing. One of my favorite restaurants made an outstanding kimchi Coleslaw that I would get it every time but I knew it probably had a good amount of sugar in it so I decided to give it a keto makeover. I prepared this side dish with Korean Barbecue spare ribs which was the perfect match of hot tender pork with a cold crunchy salad. Even though both the ribs and slaw are fairly spicy the Coleslaw does seem to cool down my palate.
Kimchi Cole Slaw
- ½ head white Cabbage fine shred
- ½ head red cabbage fine shred
- ⅔ cup prepared kimchi chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ½ cup mini bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp erythritol optional
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame seed
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- Using a Japanese mandolin thinly slice red and white cabbage into long thin strips (its best to quarter the cabbage before slicing)
- Thinly slice 3-4 multi color mini bell peppers. (For extra spicy add Thai chili’s or a jalapeño)
- Rough chop cilantro, garlic, ginger and Kimchi and combine in large mixing bowl with cabbage and peppers.
- In a blender add all remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth, then pour over cabbage mix and stir to combine
- Garnish with scallions, cilantro, Korean chili flakes and sesame seeds.
4. Purple Cauliflower Antipasti
Funny how some recipes start. Ironically this recipe started at my local butcher shop. I was picking up my weekly stipend of carnivorous treats when I saw a beautiful head of purple cauliflower. There’s always some random local veggies at the checkout counter and I just couldn’t pass up this vibrate veggie.
Purple Cauliflower Antipasti
- Chop purple cauliflower and brocoli down to bite size even pieces, thinly slice onions, peppers, tomatoes and other veggies
- rough chop olives and gairdiniera, combine in a bowl w/garlic, olive oil, italian seasoning and red wine vinagar.
- thinly slice italian cod cuts
- Combine all ingredients in large container and chill for 30 minutes before serving. stir befor serving to distribute dressing evenly and top with Parmesan or Romano Cheese
5. Keto Kale Rockefeller
Creamed spinach is so last year in the Keto community. Step up your game with this Keto Kale Rockefeller. Fatty bacon, creamy kale all topped with tomatoes and melty mozzarella cheese!!
Creamed Spinach has always been one of my favorite steakhouse side dishes. honestly its the only way I actually enjoy spinach. That being said I always feel like creamed spinach just comes up short. Some recipes are too soupy and others are just plain old bland. Sometimes part of the problem is when the spinach is cooked it just turns into a slimy blob of nothingness.
Keto Kale Rockefeller
- 10 cups Kale
- 6 oz Bacon Diced
- 1/4 cup Ramps or Scallions
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 3/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Water or Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1.5 oz Pernod or Dry Vermouth
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Render out the fat from your diced bacon until it’s almost fully cooked then stir in your ramps or scallions until soft.
- Deglaze pot with Pernod or dry vermouth ( if you don’t use alcohol chicken broth will be fine)
- Fill pot with kale then add ¼ cup of water or broth to steam the kale. Cover and simmer until kale stems are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Add cream cheese and heavy cream, simmer until cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated into the kale mixture. Turn heat off and add your fresh grated Pecorino Romano.
- Pour mixture into a casserole pan, top with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly golden and delicious