A culinary kaleidoscope of deliciousness! Fresh Julienned veggies tossed in a light and tangy low carb dressing great addition to any Asian inspired meal.
On an old episode of diners, drive ins and dives I saw a thai restaurant that made a green papaya salad that looked amazing. I immediately started thinking of a way to recreate this dish with my own spin. Green papayas are just young unripened papayas and they do have less carbs than their fully ripened counterparts but still a bit higher than I wanted in my recipe. I substituted a variety of colorful veggies like zucchini, squash, carrots and peppers not only for a pretty presentation but a variety of crunchy texture.
The dressing is has a spicy tangy zip that compliments the veggies perfectly. I added mayo which isn’t traditional but adds some extra healthy fats and helps the dressing coat the veggies. This low carb dressing can be used for a variety of salads and is a great marinade for chicken and seafood as well. Sometimes I double the dressing recipe just so I have some extra on hand for adding a kick to other asian recipes.
Depending on what you’re having along with this salad you can make it a side dish to serve with shrimp or chicken but also makes a nice crunchy condiments to be served over top your main dish.after about four days the crunch of the veggies tends to go a bit limp but still has great flavor but I doubt it will last that long in the refrigerator.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 large squash
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 mini red yellow and orange bell peppers
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- ½ bunch cilantro
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint
- Juice of one lime w/ zest
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 tablespoon Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tsp erythritol
- 1 tsp Redmonds Real Salt
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- Using a Japanese mandolin with the julienne blade carefully slice zucchini,squash and carrot into long noodle like strains.
- Slice mini bell peppers lengthwise into matchsticks.
- Rough chop herbs.
- In a mixing bowl combine all remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- And veggies and herbs to dressing and toss. Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes to chill and set up. Toss again each time before serving to coat veggies.