Are You In Search of Meal Prep Perfection? The search is over because this low carb Thai egg roll bowl affectionatly refereed to by some as “Crack Slaw” is about the easiest keto meal prep dish you can make. One pan and less than 20 minutes to prepare, you’ll be back to blasting those Quads in the gym in no time.
I’ve got to level with everyone, I love Thai food! It’s always been one of my favorite cuisines and since going Keto I haven’t had any. I’ve seen lot of recipes for egg roll in a bowl or is much more intense name “crack slaw” if you’re unfamiliar it’s basically the filling from an egg roll sauteed in a pan and served in a bowl, kinda similar to moo shu without the pancakes. I wanted to come up with my own twist on the recipe and I came up with the idea to make a Thai “peanut” sauce version. This recipe definitely exceeded expectation and will be added to my Keto meal prep Arsenal for sure.
I used ground pork for this version but you could substitute, ground beef, sausage, turkey or chicken and I’ve even substituted small shrimp and it was outstanding.
The biggest key in my mind is to not overlook the cabbage especially if you intend on portioning for meal prep. Browning off the meat then simmering the sauce before adding the veggies last helps prevent the cabbage from turning to mush. You really only need to cook the cabbage for a few minutes before it’s done and can be portioned out. This also keeps the colors bright and beautiful instead of that unappetizing green that cabbage can turn into.
The sauce may not be completely traditional but using the almond butter instead of peanut butter still provides that nutty flavor and when combined with the spicy sambal oelek and coconut aminos you’ll be pleasantly surprised how fantastic this sauce is. This sauce can be used for plenty of other things like pouring over veggies or chicken and you could even make a spicy Thai “noodle” dish with some zucchini noodles.
I’m sure once you make it once you’ll be thinking of excuses to make it again and even though it’s around 10 carbs per serving it’s very filling and can definitely be worked in to fit your macros.
Low Carb Thai Egg Roll Bowl
- 2 lbs ground sausage
- ½ head red cabbage
- ½ head white cabbage
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- 3-4 mini bell peppers sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ⅓ cup Thai coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- Brown off pork in large pan.
- In a blender make Thai sauce by combining all ingredients and blending until smooth.
- Thinly slice cabbage and peppers
- Once Pork is fully cooked reduce heat to medium and add the Thai sauce, simmer for about one minute.
- Next add th cabbage and toss to combine, let cabbage cook for about 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Finally add the peppers and cilantro, cook until the texture of the veggies is still very crunchy but softened enough to be slightly tender.