Tired of overcooked dried out chicken breast in your Chicken Parmesan? This Low Carb Stuffed version is packed with fresh mozzarella and Italian sausage sure to keep this updated keto recipe juicy and delicious.
Chicken Parmesan is one of the most popular Italian dishes around the world and especially in the United States, but also one of the most generic. We have all had those over breaded, overcooked and over sauces sad representations of my heritage served at restaurants and local pizzerias.
My low carb version is stuffed with fresh mozzarella cheese and Italian sausage then wrapped in prosciutto. I dust the outside with grated Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven before topping it with small amount of tomato sauce and melted sharp provolone. The stuffing really keeps the chicken moist and tender throughout the cooking process and will impress even the pickiest Paesano.
I served this over a cauliflower mushroom risotto and sliced the breast 2 different ways. The round slices are great because everyone can have the amount they want if your serving family style but if this is a romantic dinner for 2 I prefer to make a single diagonal cut to expose the cheesy, porky goodness.
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
- To prepare your chicken breast you’ll be making 2 cuts the first will be made by slicing the breast at a 45 degree angle and fold the breast open without cutting all the way through. Next cut the opposite direction the same way so that the chicken is opened like a tri-fold. Then make a few shallow cuts to help the breast spread out and cook evenly.
- Once the breast is butterflied take about 2oz. of sausage and press it into the center of the chicken evenly spread out. Then lay a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese in the center.
- Firmly fold the chicken back to its original shape and overlap the folds.
- Place 2 slices of prosciutto on your prep surface and overlap so they are the same length as the chicken. Wrap the prosciutto around the chicken and tuck underneath.
- Don’t worry if it’s not the prettiest thing in the world cause your gonna cover it with sauce and cheese in a little while.
- Place you’re stuffed chicken breasts on a sheet pan and season with, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan
- Bake the chicken at 325 for 35 minutes. Be sure the center has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees
- Next add a ¼ cup of Rao’s tomato sauce on each piece of chicken. I know what you’re thinking, how can a good Italian boy such as yourself use a jarred sauce. First off this is the Cadillac of jarred tomato sauce. Both in taste and price tag, second it has the lowest carbs of any sauce on the market and even less than if I made my own (I’ll post my tomato sauce in a future blog…stay tuned) third reason is I didn’t feel like making tomato sauce on top of all the other steps in making this recipe.