Possibly My favorite Keto Meal Prep Recipe. this classic sandwich gets a low carb makeover by ditching the rye bread while keeping all the flavors you come to expect from this titan of the delicatessen.
Rueben or a Rachel
Who doesn’t like a giant Reuben sandwich piled high with corned beef, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing. Heck I don’t even like rye bread that much but when combined with the flavors of the sandwich it just seems to work. Since I’ve ditched the bread I’ve been missing my favorite classic sandwiches and began brainstorming on a recipe.
I love egg roll in a bowl recipes and make them for meal prep often so I decided that was the path I would take. The Rueben was a perfect candidate to transform into an Egg bowl bowl because it already has Sauerkraut. If we want to get technical a Reuben topped with Cole Slaw instead of sauerkraut is known as a Rachel. Most people think that switching out the corned beef for turkey is a Rachel but I beg to differ. Anyway you enjoy your Rueben or Rachel or Ross for that matter (Friends Joke) is fine by me.
Make the dish your own
I always hated snobby chefs that won’t prepare dishes the way the customer wants it, its your food and you should have it the way you like it, that being said don’t complain when you order something strange and don’t care for it. chefs are very talented at combining flavors…thats kinda their job.
Adding toasted caraway seeds are the secret weapon to bring out the essence of the Reuben. I swear that even though I don’t normally like caraway seeds in dishes for some reason it truly works well in this one. Alternasweets spicy low carb ketchup gives the dressing a subtle kick and tangy sweetness without all the added sugar. The sauerkraut provides a unique zip that brings the sauce together.
I hope you find this keto creation as satisfying as I did. For those days when you just want something warm and comforting this dish can’t be beat. It has that indulgent flavors that make you think you’re cheating on keto. Don’t worry, I swear this can be a healthy part of any low carb regiment.
- 1 lb sliced corned beef
- 1 lb shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 cup Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon scallions
- Melt butter in a pan and lightly toast half of the caraway seeds.
- Sliced corned beef into ½ inch ribbons before adding to the pan to sauté for 3-5 minutes covered
- Add coleslaw mix and cook for another 3-5 minutes covered.
- Stir mixture until combined turn off heat then top with Swiss cheese and cover for 3-5 minutes until cheese has melted
- Drizzle Russian dressing on top and garnish with scallions and remaining caraway seeds
- To prepare dressing combine all ingredients in food processor/blender and pulse until smooth.