Meal Prep Like a Boss…A Mob Boss!!
If you find yourself too busy to prepare meals that meet your keto lifestyle this recipe is for you. These Pepperoni Prosciutto Egg Bites are the perfect on the go breakfast. Just a few steps and about an hour to give you a tasty meal prep for the entire week. In addition you will love the money you can save by making egg bites at home instead of visiting your local chain coffee shop.
There’s lots of methods for preparing egg bites. Some recipes are made using an Instant Pot, others are sous vide. Both methods are fantastic but if I’m just looking for a quick meal prep I’m going with a silicone muffin pan. You can basically have the recipe ready to go by the time your oven has preheated.
Get Creative, Use your favorite ingredients to create the perfect Egg Bites
You can use this recipe as a base and have fun with the other ingredients. Bacon & gruyere like Starbucks or get crazy with crab and chives. The possibilities are endless. As long as you start with 10 eggs, ½ cup cottage cheese and a ¼ cup heavy cream the rest is up to you.
I chose to use pepperoni and prosciutto because of their higher fat to protein ratio. I’m on a specific protocol currently and I’m really trying to keep my protein lower than I normally would. Plus who doesn’t love pepperoni and prosciutto. I pretty much love all Italian cold cuts and these were just what I had on hand. One extra step that I really recommend is to sauté your diced meats ahead of time. Prosciutto especially can be chewy when cooked plus you amplify the flavors by crisping up the meat ahead of time.
Since it’s the end of summer here in Maryland my basil plants are growing out of control. I would always choose fresh herbs whenever possible but if you’re reading this recipe in February I totally understand using dry herbs.
Protect the Egg Bites from Browning too soon.
For the first half hour I like to cook the eggs covered with a second sheet pan or a piece of foil. This not only expedites the cooking process but also prevents the eggs from browning up to soon. If you like you can always top the egg bites with a dollop of sour cream or ricotta after they’ve cooled down. You could also add mozzarella cheese on top for the last 10 minutes of baking but I didn’t want to cover up the red and green flecks. Probably a great Christmas time breakfast if I’m thinking out loud. If you have a bite more time I highly suggest you give my Sausage Crust Breakfast Pizza a try.
Pepperoni Prosciutto Egg Bites
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Thinly slice and dice the pepperoni and prosciutto then sauté in a pan until almost crispy but not totally. Then immediately transferred to another container so the meats don’t continue cooking.
- In a blender crack 10 eggs, add seasoning, cottage cheese and heavy cream. Blend until smooth.
- Add the pepperoni,prosciutto and fresh basil, pulse just a few times to incorporate.
- Spray each compartment of the silicone muffin pan then pour equal amounts of the egg mixture for a total of 12 egg bites. (Make sure to have your muffin pan on a sheet pan to make transferring in and out of the oven)
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes covered with a second sheet pan or foil.
- Remove cover and bake for 20 minutes longer before checking for doneness. You want the egg bites to be fully cooked but still have a slight giggle to them. You can use a toothpick to check if they’re done. Poke the toothpick into the center of the egg bite. If the toothpick is dry then the egg bites are ready.
- Let fully cooked egg bites cool before removing from muffin molds. Egg bites can be reheated by microwaving for about 45 seconds.