This highly requested recipe is possibly my all time favorite Chinese Takeout Meal. The sweet and spicy general Tso Sauce with crispy chicken is truly a mouthwatering treat for your tastebuds. When you’re craving General Tso Chicken but want to stay in ketosis this is the recipe for you!
Most Requested Recipe Ever!
I have had so many people ask for me to make a culinary lion worthy General Tso Chicken Recipe and I kept putting it off. No longer!!! I finally put my keto thinking cap on and got to work and I’m very pleased with the results. Sometimes recipes look better than they actually taste, this recipe lives up to the pretty pics, I promise. I bread the chicken using Pork King Good Breadcrumbs and a simple egg wash.
The sauce has that sticky sweet and spicy texture that I love and it coats the chicken perfectly. When tossing the chicken be gentle. The breading will hold onto the chicken but if you manhandle it you might have some breakage lol. Other then that this is a solid recipe that I’m very proud to share with you. If you love Classic Asian Carryout be sure to checkout My Drunken Noodles Recipe
Winner Winner General Tso Chicken Dinner.
If you actually take the time to read my blogs I thank you. You may also notice that I like to provide a brief history as to the origin of some of these iconic foods. Though it is unclear whether there was actually a General Tso, one thing is certain. He never ate anything resembling this recipe. Though this is one of the most popular Chinese takeaway dishes in America you would have a hard time finding this dish in China.
“British food expert Fuchsia Dunlop called it “the most famous Hunanese dish in the world,” the Times reported. Legend says Chang-kuei invented General Tso’s chicken in the 1950s while serving a group of U.S. military members. He named it after a 19th Century Chinese military leader”Chicago Tribune reported.Dec 3, 2016
General Tso Chicken & Waffles!!!
Whatever the history of this dish, you can rest assured I’ve taken some liberties to make it keto friendly. Traditionally you would see this recipe served alongside a bowl of white rice. To make it keto compliment I recommend serving this dish over some riced cauliflower. If you really want to take things to another level you can make Broccoli Scallion Chaffles.
I was feeling creative so I thought it would be cool to make an Asian Chicken & Waffles. The crispy waffles and spicy chicken combined is quite the treat. I’ve posted the Broccoli Scallion Chaffle Recipe at the bottom if you want to give it a try. I’m a big fan of the Dash Mini Waffle Maker for Chaffles and I don’t think you’ll find a better use of $10 bucks.
General Tso Sauce
The sauce is what really makes this dish. We have replaced the corn syrup and cornstarch with Alternasweets Ketchup and Golden Monkfruit Sweetener. When you add the gluten free soy, fish sauce with ginger and garlic you create a sweet and sticky sauce that will make you forget about that sugary sauce. You can control the spicy level by how much Sambal Oelek you use. Feel free to add an extra tablespoon or two if you like that extra spice.
White or Dark Meat.
This recipe was made with chicken breast because I have a few family members that don’t like dark meat. If it were up to me I would have used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but I’m a reasonable person so I was accommodating. You can use whichever meat your family prefers. Just for some future ideas you can also substitute thinly sliced beef or shrimp. You can simply sauté in the pan then make the sauce in the same pan to make this a super quick one skillet dinner. I throw frozen broccoli florets in at the end just to add some color and texture.
General Tso Chicken
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1.5 cup Pork King Good Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp Togarashi
- GENERAL TSO SAUCE
- 1/4 cup Alternasweets Classic Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 3 tbsp Tamari Sauce Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Grated Ginger
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Sliced Scallions
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- 2 tsp Togarashi
- Cut chicken breast into 1 inch cubes then in a bowl whisk eggs, cream sriracha and Togarashi together. Toss chicken in egg mixture and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl pour out ½ cup of pork king good breadcrumbs. As you bread each piece of chicken individually you can add a bit more breadcrumbs until all chicken has been fully coated.
- Place in oven or air fryer at 350 for 25 minutes until fully cooked then let rest for 5 minutes before tossing gently in sauce.
- To prepare sauce, Over medium heat sauté ginger, garlic and avocado oil until veggies begin to soften then add scallions and lime juice and zest.
- Next whisk in monkfruit sweetener and caramelize. Finally add remaining ingredients and stir until sauce begins to reduce and thicken. If sauce seems too thick add a tbsp of water or chicken stock for desired viscosity.
Broccoli Scallion Chaffles
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Scoop out ¼ cup of Chaffle mixture and spread out in a sprayed mini waffle maker. Close lid and cook for about 5 minutes until crispy.
This page contains affiliate links