This Low Carb Kimchi Cole Slaw is an absolute flavor bomb. the unique tangy sourness of the kimchi is mellowed with the fresh cabbage and the Korean chili flakes and a kick of heat that will wake up the taste buds
One of my favorite types of cuisine is definitely Korean, something about those spicy unique flavors just get my taste buds dancing. One of my favorite restaurants made an outstanding kimchi Coleslaw that I would get it every time but I knew it probably had a good amount of sugar in it so I decided to give it a keto makeover. I prepared this side dish with Korean Barbecue spare ribs which was the perfect match of hot tender pork with a cold crunchy salad. Even though both the ribs and slaw are fairly spicy the Coleslaw does seem to cool down my palate, or maybe it was the copious amounts of sparkling water I drank during the meal.
I invited an old chef friend over for dinner so I wanted to impress him with something that would show off how tasty keto can be without being too preachy about it. Even though my friend said enjoyed the meal I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have taken leftovers home if he didn’t really like the dinner. As we tasted the crunchy cabbage creation I was blown away with how flavorful it turned out and how it was even better than the restaurant version. Without sounding to pompous I muttered under my breath how tasty the slaw was and how I had really outdone myself. I will definitely be making this dish on a regular basis as a side dish for meal prep or just a base to be topped with my favorite proteins. I’ll be posting the rib rub and sauce soon so stay tuned for that recipe in an upcoming post.
Kimchi Cole Slaw
- ½ head white Cabbage fine shred
- ½ head red cabbage fine shred
- ⅔ cup prepared kimchi chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ½ cup mini bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp erythritol optional
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame seed
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- Using a Japanese mandolin thinly slice red and white cabbage into long thin strips (its best to quarter the cabbage before slicing)
- Thinly slice 3-4 multi color mini bell peppers. (For extra spicy add Thai chili’s or a jalapeño)
- Rough chop cilantro, garlic, ginger and Kimchi and combine in large mixing bowl with cabbage and peppers.
- In a blender add all remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth, then pour over cabbage mix and stir to combine
- Garnish with scallions, cilantro, Korean chili flakes and sesame seeds.