Baked Spaghetti Ketofied!
This keto friendly Baked Spaghetti uses Palmini Linguine noodles instead of traditional pasta to keep the carbs low. You won’t miss carby noodles once you taste this flavor packed recipe. Loaded with Italian sausage and ground beef sautéed in Rao’s Marinara, topped with fresh Mozzarella and capers. Plus baked Italian dishes like this are easy to make and always a crowd pleaser.
As a good Italian boy the number one food I miss since starting keto is Pasta. If you really think about it, it’s not the pasta but the ingredients that go along with it that I miss. The delicious sauces, meats and cheese are the real stars of this recipe and the noodles are just the vessel to absorb these ingredients. That’s why Palmini Noodles are such a great low carb substitution.
Palmini Linguine is the perfect partner for this Italian Comfort food.
Palmini Noodles are a fairly new product that I actually first heard about on “Shark Tank”. They’re simply hearts of palm that are sliced into a Linguine like pasta substitute. In the past I haven’t been a fan of hearts of palm so I was skeptical when I saw this new product. Surprisingly a quick rinse with cold water leaves the hearts of palm almost completely flavorless and ready to absorb all the other ingredients of the recipe.
Rao’s Marinara is the real deal and here’s why.
Rao’s Marinara is my other secret weapon for making Italian keto friendly recipes. At 4 total carbs for a ½ cup you really can’t beat the macros. On top of that the ingredients are fantastic and very high quality. It’s far from the cheapest store bought marinara but I promise it’s worth it. I recommend looking out for sales or purchasing at Costco to save a few bucks.
Easy one skillet meal prep!!
Preparing this recipe my goal was to make something packed with Italian flavor but easy enough for even a beginner cook to prepare. It’s a one skillet recipe that can be made in less than 30 minutes. The leftovers only get better on the second and third day making it perfect for meal prep. I promise this recipe will find its way into your regular keto rotation much like my recent Keto Coney Dog Casserole.
Enameled vs. traditional cast iron pans…do you need both??
If you don’t have an enameled cast iron pan let me take a minute to explain why I think everyone should have one in their kitchen. Traditional cast iron pans are fantastic and versatile but if you plan on keeping acidic ingredients like tomato sauce in the pan overnight it can strip the seasoning of traditional cast iron.
Enameled pans are great for all sorts of casseroles stews and soups where as traditional cast iron is better for searing and frying. Though enameled cast iron tends to stick more than a traditional pan most of the time you’ll be deglazing the pan anyway.
When it comes to enameled cast iron you’ve got options.
Nowadays there are many affordable enameled cast iron pans as opposed to the incredibly awesome yet expensive Staub or Le Creuset versions. I recommend a wide shallow cast iron because of its versatility for sauté and braising abilities. Consider making a small investment in a traditional and enameled cast iron pot that will basically last forever. Your food will thank you.
Low Carb Baked Spaghetti
- In a shallow wide enameled cast iron pot brown off ground beef and sliced Italian sausage, drain off any excess grease. Or keep if you don’t mind a little extra fat.In a shallow wide enameled cast iron pot brown off ground beef and sliced Italian sausage, drain off any excess grease. Or keep if you don’t mind a little extra fat.
- Add garlic, onion and Italian seasoning. Simmer until meat is fully cooked. Reduce heat to medium low and add Rao’s Marinara, Capers and drained Palmini Linguine.Add garlic, onion and Italian seasoning. Simmer until meat is fully cooked. Reduce heat to medium low and add Rao’s Marinara, Capers and drained Palmini Linguine.
- Stir until sauce has reduced, add grated Parmesan to absorb and tighten up the mixture.Stir until sauce has reduced, add grated Parmesan to absorb and tighten up the mixture.
- Top with sliced fresh mozzarella and broil for 5-7 minutes until cheese has melted and slightly browned.Top with sliced fresh mozzarella and broil for 5-7 minutes until cheese has melted and slightly browned.
- Garnish with Capers, Fresh Basil and Oregano for color and flavor