Need a simple Keto dessert that will have all your guests talking, this keto friendly Margarita Ice box pie is everything you could want in a dessert or a cocktail. Not only is it this pie colorful and delicious but one bite and you’ll think you’re poolside in Cancun sipping tequila.
It’s March 14th also known to many as Pie day, I decided it was the perfect day to release a Keto icebox Pie. This low carb version is very similar to a no bake cheesecake and to be honest I don’t see much difference…but it’s not cake day so I’m calling it Pie. As I sit outside on my front porch writing this post taking in some very needed sunshine I see signs of spring all around me. The spring has almost sprung, daylight savings has extended our time in the sun and I’m already gearing up for grilling season. Tequila is a spirit that I don’t seem to drink in the winter as bourbon is my preferred adult beverage of choice in the colder months.
Spring has sprung!!!
Now that the weather is warming up I look forward to being outside firing up the grill and enjoying the occasional shot of reposado tequila. This Keto friendly margarita ice box pie will put you in a summer state of mind with the salty, sour and sweet flavor profiles folded into this rich and creamy low carb fiesta. Come to think of it cinco de mayo is just around the corner and I can’t think of a better dessert to bring to a Keto meetup or backyard cookout. Nobody would ever guest this recipe was low carb and when you tell them there’s real tequila in there the only question they’ll ask is where’s the forks. This Keto dessert definitely reminds me of that salt rimmed margarita taste that lead to many regretful decisions in my younger years except without the guilt and hangover the next day. The only downside is you’ll be asked to bring this pie to every summer party for the rest of your life so consider yourself warned.
What’s an Ice Box Pie?
Ice box pies are traditionally made with lemon and have a graham cracker crust. This crust is made with a coconut flour crust that I prefer not only from a standpoint of lower carbs but the flavor and texture as well. Ice box pies got their name from southern farmers who didn’t have electricity and would store these pies in an icebox to keep cold until time to serve. Ice box pies are very similar to key lime pies for their tangy citrus notes and creamy cheesecake like texture. Overall this is a very simple dessert to prepare and perfect for the person who doesn’t like to bake…like me. When I first started developing this recipe I knew I wanted this to be a dessert anyone could make and whether you make it with or without the tequila this recipe is a winner from the first bite to the last. I recommend making this pie the day before you want to cut it so it has time to tighten up. If you need to serve sooner just put it in the freezer for a few hours.
Thanks as always for trying out this recipe and please tag me on instagram or Facebook if you please. I love seeing everyone’s pics and getting feedback on your thoughts. You can also comment below and rate the recipes so I can see what types of dishes are most successful. Remember, recipes are like roadmaps, you can always take another route
Keto Margarita Pie
- PIE CRUST
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1 stick Butter Cold and cubed
- 1 tbsp Erythritol or Stevia
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- 1/8 tsp real salt
- PIE FILLING
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Erythritol
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice 3-4 Limes
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- 2 oz tequila
- in a food processor combine all ingredients of the pie crust and pulse until a dough begins to form, remove the mixture and kneed into a dough ball
- In a 9 inch pie pan press out the dough to cover the entire pan and about 1 inch up the sides then press a fork along the sides to give that ruffled look, then poke a bunch of holes in the bottom of the crust to prevent bubbles forming
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 11-13 minutes just until the edges of the crust begin to become golden. Set aside to cool.
- to make the filling, in a small saucepan add tequila, lime juice, lemon extract and sweetener. Stir just long enough to dissolve sweetener then set aside to chill
- In a mixing bowl whisk the heavy cream to soft peaks
- In a second mixing bowl whisk sour cream and cream cheese then add the tequila/lemon mixture, then gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a cool pie crust and place 10 lime slices around the outside of the pie and chill at least 4 hours before slicing, 2 hours in the freezer. (Chilling in the fridge overnight is ideal if possible)