Creamed spinach is so last year in the Keto community. Step up your game with this Kale Rockefeller. Fatty bacon, creamy kale all topped with tomatoes and melty mozzarella cheese!!
Creamed Spinach has always been one of my favorite steakhouse side dishes, honestly is the only way I actually enjoy spinach. That being said I always feel like creamed spinach just comes up short. Some recipes are too soupy and others are just plain old bland. Part of the problem is when the spinach is cooked it just turns into a slimy blob of nothingness. Kale however still has some texture and body left after it’s cooked.
Steakhouse Favorite gets a Makeover
Oysters Rockefeller is a classic steakhouse appetizer that is normally topped with a creamy spinach topping with bacon cheese and a slice of tomato depending who you ask. I love all of the flavors and figured why not ditch the oyster and just make a casserole out of the filling substituting kale to add some body to the recipe. It’s a perfect side dish for steak but really works with anything from chicken to fish as well.
Everything’s Better with Bacon
We all know bacon makes everything better but locally cured slab bacon makes everything even better than better!! I’m lucky because I don’t like far from a great charcuterie place that makes their own bacon and I always keep a hunk in the fridge to dice up and add to dishes. Any bacon will work for the recipe but if you look for a thick cut or center cut variety you will taste the difference. I like to start off by cooking the bacon on low heat and take my time to render out as much fat as I can then turning up the heat and crisping up the bacon at the end.
This is a fairly simple dish that you can put together in about 30 minutes. No exotic ingredients for this recipe and it’s pretty easy on the wallet. Another tip is you can make this dish ahead of time then refrigerate until it’s time for dinner.If you love creamed spinach then this Keto friendly interpretation is a must try next time your firing up the grill.
Keto Kale Rockefeller
- 10 cups Kale
- 6 oz Bacon Diced
- 1/4 cup Ramps or Scallions
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 3/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Water or Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1.5 oz Pernod or Dry Vermouth
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Render out the fat from your diced bacon until it’s almost fully cooked then stir in your ramps or scallions until soft.
- Deglaze pot with Pernod or dry vermouth ( if you don’t use alcohol chicken broth will be fine)
- Fill pot with kale then add ¼ cup of water or broth to steam the kale. Cover and simmer until kale stems are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Add cream cheese and heavy cream, simmer until cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated into the kale mixture. Turn heat off and add your fresh grated Pecorino Romano.
- Pour mixture into a casserole pan, top with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly golden and delicious