This is the meatloaf that will make you forget your eating keto. All the flavor, meaty goodness and sweet ketchup glaze without the carbs. This easy recipe will feed the family and keep everyone satisfied. Keto comfort food at it’s finest and I even threw in some fried Parmesan brussel sprouts.
The secret to tender juicy Meatloaf
Meatloaf has gotten a bad wrap over the years. Notorious for being a giant flavorless brick of meat that’s made with sawdust breadcrumbs. Well I’m here to fix this, I created a recipe that’s light tender and juicy without any bread at all. Substituting Pork King Good Breadcrumbs made of 100% Pork skins gives the meatloaf perfect texture while helping to hold the mixture together.
My second secret ingredient is Ricotta Cheese. Not only does it add a creamy texture but it also acts as a natural binder for the recipe. Make sure to buy whole milk ricotta for the lowest carb count. I also use Ricotta in my Low Carb Meatball Marinara Recipe. Both of these recipes are fantastic for meal prep or an easy weeknight dinner.
Don’t over mix you Meatloaf.
Another common mistake in meatloaf is over mixing. I recommend making the mixture in two steps. First I combine my eggs, cheese and pork skins then add my seasoning and whisk. After the mixture is combined I add the meat and fold just long enough to evenly combine. Over mixing can give your meatloaf a tough texture so don’t over do it.
I prefer a combination of beef and pork in my meatloaf and meatballs. Italian sausage just brings so much added flavor to the recipe. Beef is the body and structure whereas pork brings the fat and flavor. You can also look for a trio mix at your local grocery store that’s a combination of beef, pork and veal.
Glaze it up!!
For the glaze on top I prefer something sweet. Since this is an Italian meatloaf you might think toppings it with marinara which you’re welcome to use. I will say that Alternasweets Ketchup combined with balsamic vinegar gives you that classic tomato flavor but also achieves that sweetness that I want in my meatloaf.
Use code LION for 5% off Alternasweets products at checkout
Meatloaf was made for Meal Prep
As if you needed another reason to love this meatloaf recipe, its also the perfect meal prep. I recommend placing a sheet of parchment paper in the loaf plan so the meatloaf can be removed and sliced after cooling. Once the meatloaf is cold it slices easily and can be heated up in a pan along with the brussel sprouts. Meatloaf is often even better the second or third day after it was originally prepared.
Parmesan Fried Brussels
I wanted to not only add some veggies to go along with my meatloaf but also some color. Parmesan fried brussel sprouts are easy to prepare and go great with this Italian masterpiece. I simply fry them in a pan with ghee, Parmesan salt and pepper. Things that every kitchen should have on hand. No more mushy microwave brussel sprouts. These tasty morsels have texture, flavor and make for a beautiful presentation.
Italian Keto Meatloaf w/ Balsamic Ketchup
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Italian Sausage Loose (ground)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Pork King Good Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Dry Minced Onion
- 2 tsp Real Salt
- 1 tsp Granulated Onion
- 1/4 cup Alternasweets Classic Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Combine alternasweets ketchup and balsamic vinegar, whisk and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add ricotta, Parmesan, heavy cream and eggs. Whisk to combine
- To the mixing bowl add seasoning and pork rind breadcrumbs. Finally fold in the pork and beef just enough to combine all ingredients. Don’t over mix the meat.
- Place parchment paper into a loaf pan then pack meatloaf mixture into the pan
- Brush half the ketchup mixture over the top of the meat mixture. Then bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F
- Check meatloaf to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. Brush remaining ketchup mixture over the meatloaf and let rest for 15 minutes before removing the meatloaf from the pan using the parchment paper. Drain off any excess fat and grease. Slice and serve
Pan Fried Brussel Sprouts
- Slice brussel sprouts in half and toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp of ghee, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese
- In a nonstick skillet place brussel sprouts sliced side down so that all the Brussels are touching the pan. Don’t over crowd, do multiple batches if needed.
- Raise heat to medium. Don’t touch Brussels for a few minutes until you see the sides begin to carmelize. Add remaining ghee. Watch for popping liquid. Use a splatter guard.
- Using tongs check Brussels for golden color then flip over and continue cooking for additional 2-3 minutes. Brussels will be firm but tender. Finish with shaved Parmesan on top.
This Site contains Affiliate links.