Instant Pot keto meal prep or super bowl eats? Either way this low carb Chipotle Chicken with Bleu cheese Cole Slaw is the perfect recipe for any size crowd
I’ve been getting a lot of requests for Instant Pot recipes and meal prep options so I thought I’d tackle both in one blog post. Though I do like my instant pot I can’t say that it’s an appliance I use that often. It takes up a lot of counter space and so I have to motivate myself to go digging in the cupboards amongst all my other seldom used appliances and gadgets, pull it out, wash off the dust and then finally start cooking. On a positive note it will shave hours off of your cooking time over traditional stovetop braising or slow cooker methods.In addition I will say that if you like soups and stews it can be very helpful and easy to use once you’ve gotten out. I find that once I do take the time to get it out I make the most of it. I try to make multiple recipes throughout the week before finally banishing the pot to the cupboard of misfit appliances. I will be working on some Instant pot soup recipes in the near future so stay tuned.
Pro Tip* if you look closely you can see that the chicken breast in the video is still pretty much frozen. Fear not. This is where the instant pot shines as the liquid in the frozen chicken actually helps keep the chicken moist and tender during the cooking process and the slow release method lets the chicken fully cook without drying it out. (If your chicken doesn’t seem tender enough simply set your instant pot on slow cook and continue cooking until it’s fork tender.
Since the Super Bowl is this weekend I thought I’d give you a really tasty Pulled Chicken recipe using chipotle peppers and my favorite Alternasweets BBQ sauce. There’s so many things you can do with this recipe, everything from toppings ing a fathead Bagel with chicken cheese and jalapeños to making a fantastic chipotle Chicken burrito bowl that the restaurant chain couldn’t touch. You can control the spice however you prefer by using less chipotle peppers and more bbq sauce.
A combination you might not think works but in my opinion is perfect is serving your shredded chipotle chicken with a super simple low carb bleu cheese Cole Slaw. The bold bleu cheese really compliments the spicy chicken and acts as a fire extinguisher if the chipotles heat gets out of hand just as bleu cheese is used to cool down your buffalo wings. Feel free to get creative with the ingredients by adding things like bacon, jalapeños or even cold poached shrimp if you want to get fancy. If bleu cheese is just to funky a flavor for you feel free to substitute ranch dressing for the mayonnaise and add cheddar or pepper jack for the bleu cheese.
After the game ends you’ll have the looming thoughts of what you’ll take to work the next day, just remember that this recipe actually gets better on days 2,3 and 4 as the spices have more time to permeate the tender shredded chicken. Simply portion out the chicken however you prefer and keep the bleu cheese slaw in a separate container to give you that perfect contrast of hot and spicy with creamy and cool.
I hope you enjoy this easy to make keto friendly recipe for the big game this week and continue making this recipe throughout the year.
If you want an easy bagel hack so you can make great bagels even easier you can try this semi Homemade bagel recipe from J and S Sweets.
- 4 lbs Chicken Breast
- 6 oz chipotle peppers
- 2 Chicken Boullion
- 2 tbsp Carribeque AP Spice Rub
- 1/3 Cup Alternasweets Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- Bleu Cheese Cole Slaw
- 16 oz Shredded Cole Slaw Mix
- 1/2 cup Mayonaisse
- 6 oz Crumbled Bleu cheese
- 2 tbsp Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Carribeque AP Spice Rub
- Add all ingredients except for the bbq sauce to your instant pot and use the preset poultry setting (15 minutes) make sure the vent is closed.
- Once the timer has gone off let the chicken slow release for one hour before transferring chicken to a mixing bowl
- Add about 1 cup of the chipotle broth leftover in the instant pot, then begin shredding the chicken.
- Once the chicken is shredded into larger chunks add your Alternasweets Bbq sauce and continue shredding until you’ve reached your desired consistency. You may need to add additional broth or bbq sauce if chicken seems dry. If you’re unhappy with the seasoning you can also add additional rib spice.
- While the Chipotle Chicken is cooking you can prepare the bleu cheese slaw by adding all ingredients to mixing bowl and gently fold everything together using tongs or spatula. Set aside to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.