Need a quick and simple keto dinner in no time? This one skillet cast iron recipe will be a staple in any low carb kitchen. ditch the bun and eat with a knife and fork like an adult or at least fake it like I do.
Who grew up with that little talking white glove dancing around on your kitchen counter claiming to make you dinner a breeze by just adding ground beef. I was very fortunate to have parents who cooked on a regular basis but we would turn to the helpful dancing glove from time to time and I have to admit those meals were delightful. Later on in college I practically lived off of boxed dinners and cup of noodles until I started cooking as a profession. This recipe takes me back to a simpler time with a one pan meal that takes about 20 minutes to make start to finish. There’s countless recipes on the ingredients for different hamburger casserole so I figured I’d throw my hat in the ring and share my ketofied take on one of my childhood favorites.
As I said before there’s a million recipes for hamburger casseroles so if you don’t like a specific ingredient or cheese just swap it out to your liking. This recipe was partially inspired by a cordon bleu sandwich with mushrooms, ham and Swiss. You could go with a bbq cheddar bacon version as well that would be outstanding, or maybe a Cajun, bacon, bleu cheese, bayou style. The possibilities are only limited by your creativity.
One little addition I like to do is serving the casserole with a selection of condiments on the side, in this case I just kept it simple with some lettuce, tomato, mustard and spicy ketchup. Go ahead and serve any condiments you enjoy on a burger alongside the casserole so everyone can customize their own dinner.
Keto Hamburger Skillet Casserole
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss
- 1 cup canned mushrooms
- 1 small diced white onion
- 6 oz diced ham
- 2 tablespoon Alternasweets Spicy Ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Redmond’s Real Salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chives garnish
- In a 12” Skillet add 1 tablespoon butter and diced onion. Over medium heat stir the onions until they soften then add ¾ of ham and mushrooms. Save the rest for garnishing on top.
- Next add the seasoning, mustard, ketchup and Worcestershire. Continue stirring.
- Add ground beef stirring until fully cooked.
- Fold in cream cheese and mix until totally melted then turn heat to low.
- Stir in half of the Swiss cheese until mixture is smooth.
- Top mixture with remaining cheese, ham, mushrooms and chives.
- Broil for about 4-5 minutes until Cheese is melted.’