Philly cheesesteak For Breakfast? Yes!! you can have a low carb Philly cheesesteak egg casserole that will blow your socks off all the way back to Geno and Pats in South Philly. Anyone can make this Keto recipe in no time and its perfect for meal prep all week long.
If you’re a meal prepper then I’m sure you’ve made egg cups or casseroles before, But have you made a Philly Cheesesteak version. The other day I was trying to decide what I wanted to eat around noon and I was torn between breakfast and lunch. I was thinking of making my cheesesteak stuffed peppers. Click here for that recipe or did I want to make an omelette for my post workout meal. Just then a light bulb went off and I decided let’s have both!! I’m a big fan of food mash ups so this was right in my wheelhouse. It’s a really simple recipe that comes together quickly and is perfect to portion out for the week. You can customize your casserole however you please.
I did a Mushroom, onion and tomato version but peppers or any other veggies you like would be fine. When it comes to cheese I went with kraft singles because they are delicious, I’m well aware it’s barley cheese but it’s what I had on hand at the time. Provolone, aged cheddar, mozzarella or Swiss would also be fantastic options. You can also top the casserole with things like Mayo, Lettuce, Hot peppers or anything else you normally put on a cheesesteak.
When checking to see if it’s done I use the old toothpick trick. Poke the toothpick in the center of the casserole and if it comes out dry and feels firm then you know it’s done. One final tip is to let this casserole cool for at least 15 minutes. It will be easier to cut and serve and if your portioning it out you don’t want it to be too hot anyway.
I do use almond flour in this recipe. If you have a nut allergy you can substitute 1.5 tablespoons of coconut flour.
Keto Philly cheesesteak Egg Casserole
- Sauté onions and philly meat in a pan until almost cooked, add in mushrooms and reduce as much water out of the pan before pouring into casserole dish to cool.
- In food processor combine all ingredients of egg mixture until smooth
- Lay 6 slices of cheese over the philly meat then pour egg mixture evenly around the casserole dish. Top with tomatoes
- Bake for 30-35 min at 360 degrees until fully cooked
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing. This will allow you to cut it evenly and not burn your tongue off when you bite into it!!