The Ultimate Keto Fake Out Recipe!!
You have to give cauliflower a lot of credit for being a keto chameleon, disguising itself as potato almost too well. you can ditch the starchy carbs in your summer salad and substitute this versatile crusiforus doppelgänger to keep the carbs to a manageable level.
This summer side dish is probably one of the most requested things that I get asked to make for family gathering. It is a knock off of my grandmothers famous potato salad down to the hard boiled egg slices on top with a dash of paprika just for color. My brother who hates cauliflower with a passion calls this dish “the bowl of lies” because at a glance you would never know that it’s cauliflower instead of potato. Now I’m not gonna tell you that this will fool someone who doesn’t like cauliflower into enjoying this dish but I will say that it blows people away when they taste that familiar mayonnaise based dressing and realize it’s not potato.
The secret to this dish is cooking the cauliflower just enough that it’s soft and tender but still firm enough to not turn into mashed cauliflower, that’s a different dish (click here for my ricotta cauliflower mash recipe). As soon as the cauliflower I cooked to to that tenderness it’s important to shock the cauliflower in cold water to stop the cooking process. Other than cooking the cauliflower correctly this dish is a breeze, simply toss the other ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine them fold in the cauliflower.
This dish is the perfect potluck side because it’s best served the second day. You can prep the dish and chill it overnight and it give the dressing time to absorb into the cauliflower. Even your non keto friends and family will love this dish and you’ll definitely get invited to more cookouts in the summer!
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 lb. bacon cooked & chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 3 dill pickle spears diced
- 2 tablespoon aged sherry vinegar
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp real salt
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- Cook bacon, hard boil eggs ahead of time so ingredients are ready.
- Diced up cauliflower into bite size pieces and boil for about 5-7 minutes in salted water until outer parts are tender but the center is still firm.
- Rinse cauliflower in cold water until room temperature to stop the cooking process.
- Next dice up pickles, celery and fresh herbs. (If using dried herbs use a tsp of 2-3 herbs you like)
- In a large mixing bowl mix up all ingredients except cauliflower.
- Fold in cauliflower until fully combined.
- To garnish slice three eggs with an egg slicer and arrange the egg slices around the bowl and dust the top with paprika and parsley.